Blizzard cuts more than 200 US jobs as part of Activision restructure

first_imgBlizzard cuts more than 200 US jobs as part of Activision restructureIT and marketing sees most layoffs, Overwatch firm’s cuts account for more than a quarter of planned 800 redundanciesJames BatchelorEditor-in-ChiefFriday 8th March 2019Share this article Recommend Tweet ShareCompanies in this articleActivision BlizzardBlizzard EntertainmentNew details have emerged about the impact of Activision Blizzard’s plans to cut around 800 staff from its business.More than 200 of those cuts have been made to Blizzard’s various US operations, according to PCGamesInsider. The site obtained a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification filing, listing the job losses across the entirety of the United States.The filing was submitted to California’s Employment Development Department on February 12, 2019 — the same day Activision Blizzard both announced plans to reduce its workforce by 8% and celebrated record financial results.In line with what has previously been reported, IT and marketing have been hit the hardest. Blizzard laid of 41 employees in the former sector, while 29 people were cut from the marketing departments in Irvine, California and Austin, Texas.Both locations also lost 18 HR staff, with Irvine cutting 15 people from its Global Insights team, 12 from its North American publishing team, ten from its Latin America publishing team, and 16 across Finance and Commercial.A further 29 were let go from the Live Experiences teams in Austin, Irvine and Burbank. 11 QA staff were made redundant across Irvine and New York, and nine were dismissed from the Web & Mobile teams across Austin and Irvine.Five of the Battle.net team in Irvine were let go, two Customer Service staff in the same office, and one from each of the Activision Blizzard Esports League’s marketing and legal teams. Three members of staff were dismissed from Facilities team across Austin and Irvine.Finally, although it’s not clear whether these fall under Activision or Blizzard, seven people in the Consumer Products team were dismissed from various US locations.Related JobsSenior Game Designer – UE4 – AAA United Kingdom Amiqus GamesProgrammer – REMOTE – work with industry veterans! North West Amiqus GamesJunior Video Editor – GLOBAL publisher United Kingdom Amiqus GamesDiscover more jobs in games That’s 209 members of staff, accounting for more than a quarter of the 800 Activision Blizzard planned to cut. Additionally, as previously reported, a further 134 jobs are in danger at Blizzard’s Versailles office.In a statement to PCGamesInsider, the company said: “While the changes were difficult, they were important for supporting our current game-development priorities, which will serve as the foundation for Blizzard’s future. This will ultimately put us in the best position to create epic, high-quality content and entertainment experiences for our players around the world.”A recent SEC filing for Activision Blizzard warned that the redundancies might “negatively impact” its business.Celebrating employer excellence in the video games industry8th July 2021Submit your company Sign up for The Daily Update and get the best of GamesIndustry.biz in your inbox. Enter your email addressMore storiesActivision Blizzard wins patent lawsuit after nine yearsThe judge ruled that the patents were “not inventions” of Worlds Incorporated, which was suing for infringementBy Marie Dealessandri 6 days agoCall of Duty, King push Activision Blizzard to record Q1 revenuesPublisher’s revenues jump 27% to $2.28 billion as Call of Duty Mobile’s Chinese debut helps drive Activision division sales up 72% year-over-yearBy Brendan Sinclair 7 days agoLatest comments Sign in to contributeEmail addressPasswordSign in Need an account? Register now.last_img read more

Damen signs BWTS agreement

first_imgThe intention is to advance to a full partnership by the end of 2016, said Damen. Currently Avitalis is undergoing shipboard testing for IMO type approval and USCG land-based testing. It is anticipated that IMO type approval will be achieved in the first half of 2017, followed by USCG type approval later the same year. The system combines filtration and an eco-friendly chemical treatment solution for medium-sized and large vessels. Damen says the Avitalis system is effective in water of any salinity, turbidity or temperature. The chemical used in the treatment process is Peraclean Ocean, developed by Evonik Industries. The Peraclean family of biocides is widely used in the medical, foodstuffs and beverages industries, amongst others, to disinfect equipment. Damen began discussions with Evonik two years ago regarding its research into marine applications for Peraclean. In February 2016, Evonik formed an exclusive partnership with maritime equipment company TeamTec to optimise the Avitalis system. “TeamTec is a respected name in the marine industry with over 30 years of experience, and Evonik is a world leader in its sector,” said Barry Stolk of Damen Green Solutions. “We have every confidence that the Avitalis BWTS has a great future ahead of it. This combination of Norwegian, German and Dutch expertise will be very effective indeed.”www.damen.comlast_img read more

Wellness Centre to host 3-in-1 pageant

first_img Share EducationEntertainmentLocalNewsPrimarySecondary Wellness Centre to host 3-in-1 pageant by: – June 4, 2014 Share Lil Miss Summer competitorsThe Healthy Living Wellness Centre, in collaboration with Limitless Studios and the Etoile Youth Group, will host the first ever 3-in-1 summer Pageant.The pageant, which is divided into three segments; Lil Miss Summer, Princess of Summer and Queen of Summer, is set to take place on Sunday, June 29, 2014 from 3PM at the Krazy Kokonuts.“The Little Miss Summer segment is for children between the ages of 4 -7, the Princess of Summer segment for children between the ages of 9-12 and the Queen of Summer segments for adults between the ages of 18-2,” owner of the Wellness Centre, Tahira Blanchard told Dominica Vibes.Princess of Summer ParticipantsMs Blanchard added that the reason for the show is to give young people the opportunity to showcase their talents.“You find that a lot of the young ladies are interested in taking part in national shows in the future, so we wanted to give them some exposure and some experience so that they can go up for the Teenage Pageant, Princess or Queen show,” she explained.While the pageant is not a national one, Ms Blanchard promised that the standard will be on par with a national competition.Winners of the little Miss summer and the Princess of Summer will both receive a scholarship for an entire year among other prizes whilst discussions are still ongoing for the Queen of Summer winner to get a scholarship or a special grant to start off a small business.Ms Blanchard also urged Dominicans to come out to the show and support local.LiL Miss Summer competitors are Jaliyah James, Talia Hill, Najikael Laguerre, Jonnella Brumant, Sa-dera Magloire and Meckara McIntrye.The Princess of Summer competitors are Claudine Harris, Sasskia Lewis, Nakita Augustine, Kaylyn Lestrade, Tanisha Balson, Che Joseph, Akeliah Anselm and Nickima Alfred.The Queen of Summer competitors are Kimara Lugay, Primrose David, Emanie Casimir, Andreika Hunte, Khadisha Royer and Keisher Breezie.– / 6Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring!center_img Tweet Share 196 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

PAHO Director calls on the Americas to intensify COVID-19 Preparations

first_img Share Sharing is caring! Share CoronavirusLifestyleNewsRegional PAHO Director calls on the Americas to intensify COVID-19 Preparations by: – February 28, 2020 Washington, DC, February 26, 2020 (PAHO)– The Director of the Pan American Health Organization, Carissa F. Etienne, today recommended that countries intensify their plans to prepare and respond to COVID-19 given the appearance of cases of new coronavirus disease in the Region of the Americas.The Ministry of Health of Brazil confirmed the country’s first case of COVID-19 on February 26. The patient is a 61-year old man who recently returned from travel to Italy, where an outbreak of the virus has been ongoing since last week. So far, COVID-19 has already affected 81,109 people in 38 countries of the world, 78 191 of them in China, according to the World Health Organization.“For several weeks, countries in the Americas have been preparing for the possible importation of cases of COVID-19. There are measures in place for detecting, diagnosing and caring for patients with disease,” said Dr. Etienne. “A strong emphasis on stopping transmission continues to be an important objective while recognizing that the situation may vary from country to country and will require tailored responses.”“A multisectoral response to ensure strengthened surveillance, health service readiness, preventing spread, and maintaining essential services, are key interventions to slow transmission and save lives. Countries of the Americas have already been working on these areas since 2009 as part of their pandemic influenza plans. PAHO stands ready to support countries in rolling out these plans.”Dr. Carissa F. EtienneCOVID-19 is transmitted from person to person through droplets and in contact with contaminated surfaces. The disease is spread primarily by people who already show symptoms. Current information suggests that a single infected person can infect between 1 to 4 close contacts.In the event of an outbreak of COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean, the impact on health services may be significant with the possibility that health services may become overwhelmed, including a high demand for specialized hospital services such as intensive care.First case in Latin AmericaThe Ministry of Health of Brazil has confirmed that the patient with COVID-19 infection had recently returned from Italy. Brazilian authorities are taking measures to prevent further spread of the disease including a careful investigation of all relevant information and following up with anyone who may have come in contact with the infected patient.The first imported case of COVID-19 in the Region of the Americas was identified on 21 January in the United States, and a few days later, on 25 January, Canada reported its first confirmed case. Since then, there have been 25 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in North America.                                                 Dr. Carissa Etienne Share 116 Views   no discussions Tweetlast_img read more

Huskers’ Miles hopes players respond to punishment right way

first_imgLINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska basketball coach Tim Miles is about to find out if his tough love gets the results he desires.The Cornhuskers (13-14, 5-10 Big Ten) have lost five straight and seven of eight heading into Thursday night’s game at Ohio State (19-8, 8-6). They hit bottom with a 28-point home loss to Iowa on Sunday, and Miles responded by locking his players out of their posh locker room and lounge and cutting off media access to them.“I believe the message was received,” Miles said Wednesday.The embarrassing home performance motivated Miles to say his players don’t deserve the many amenities of the locker room and lounge in the practice facility, which is regarded as one of the nation’s best.Team managers Monday lined up individual bags of gear for the players and set them in the corridor outside the locker room. Players have been dressing and showering in an equipment room.“All I want them to do is to think about what it means to be a Husker basketball player,” Miles said. “If the only way to do that is to remove them from an everyday circumstance or everyday physical environment, so it’s not the same old, same old… They really have to think about, ‘Why am I here? Is this really important to me? What am I about?’”Miles said he hadn’t decided when to end the lockout and that the team showed “outstanding” effort in the two practices after the Iowa game.“One player said he thought he had his most fun practicing the day after the Iowa game,” Miles said. “I said, ‘Great, you should have tried that 20 hours earlier.’ And we practiced hard. It was not a fun practice, if you know what I mean.”The Iowa performance was a breaking point for Miles, who arrived three years ago with a reputation as a program builder. This is his 10th season as a Division I head coach, and all of his teams at North Dakota State, Colorado State and Nebraska improved their records each year. The streak will end this season unless the Huskers go on an improbable run.Last season’s team finished 19-13 and won eight of its last nine in the regular season to make the NCAA tournament. The Huskers returned almost everybody and were ranked No. 21 in the preseason.The offense has gotten worse. The Huskers are 336th nationally in 3-point shooting (28.7 percent), and that has allowed opponents to pack the lane and cut off driving lanes.The Huskers have scored 46 or fewer points in four of the last eight games. While going 0-7 in Big Ten road games, the Huskers are shooting 22.7 percent on 3s and averaging 51.7 points.Miles said his coaching friends and others have been supportive of the lockout. He said he also knows some people think he’s showboating.“I’ve seen people say, ‘Is Miles kicked out of his office?’ Well, we’re not equals. This is not a marriage. It’s like a parent and child,” Miles said. “There’s actually an authority figure called a coach nowadays that’s still hanging around on occasion.”Miles said he was surprised how much national attention the lockout received.“If we’re that big a story,” he said, “the Oscars must have really stunk.”last_img read more